Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Brodown

Rate this Entry

Gun Safety

Posted 06-28-2009 at 11:04 AM by Brodown
Having a father who has been an avid hunter/gun collector since he was my age (16) has taught me a great deal of the caution and respect that firearms, both deadly or non-lethal, should be treated with.

I grew up around guns of all types.
Many people would say that having weapons around a young child is detrimental and a risk, but if anything it has made me more aware of the true power in your hands as you look down the sights to accquire a target.

I want to make it my goal to help others realize that even though Airsoft is a game that we all love to play, our weapons are by no means toys, and we should learn to exercise caution when using them. Whether this means learning to respect our MED or turning our safety on when enemy contact is not present, I want people to develop a respect for firearms as I have.

PS. Not that many of the Airsoft Ohio members are like this, this is for new people who are not as gun conscious as I am coming into a great game.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4674 Comments 5 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old
    At events organizers and fellow players stress it enough. Flagging, mags in, uncleared weapons, etc. And down in Louisville it's a requirment to have a barrel blocker in the staging area which I believe to be a great idea and concept.
    Posted 06-29-2009 at 05:32 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  2. Old
    You make good points as to the necessity of treating airsoft guns as real firearms. I would just like to add for those who might not be aware the three golden rules of gun safety:

1) ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION
    Whether that be pointed towards the air or the ground, avoid pointing the barrel at anyone or any thing that you don't want to shoot. Remember, no damage can be done if the gun isn't pointed at said object to begin with.

2) KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT
    You can't really "accidentally" shoot the gun if the finger isn't even on the trigger to begin with, can you?

3) DO NOT LOAD YOUR GUN UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.
    Nothing can happen when there's nothing in the gun to cause damage, can there? The "mags out, clear chambers" order is given to satisfy this rule.

Using a safety and barrel blockers is nice, though really unnecessary if you just follow these rules. Most of the time, I never actually put my safety on, and as I've said before, safeties are by definition are a mechanical device that can and will fail (and on my MP5K, it does indeed fail.) Never allow yourself to rely on "safety" devices as an excuse to be irresponsible with a gun. That's how people get shot.
  3. Old
    Exactly Dora
    Posted 06-29-2009 at 06:28 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  4. Old
    I'm actually surprised that the fields I've been to don't require a barrel plug while in the staging area. Most of us take our goggles off while staging and the accidental discharge of a weapon could prove to be nasty.

There have been several times where I've seen people put their magazines back in and fire off shots at trees and such while in the staging area.
  5. Old
    I treat my airsoft guns with the same respect as I treat any firearm, I think everyone else should regardless of if it fires BB's or 7.62...