Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > The Hurt Locker...

Mainstream versus reality. Is there a movie that is even close?
Rate this Entry

The Hurt Locker...

Posted 08-01-2009 at 04:30 AM by blacksheep_p
Being a veteran of Operation Iraq Freedom II ( January 2004 through March 2005 ), I feel that sometimes society as a whole is very out of touch when it comes to the feelings and mindset of veterans. Whether it is the awkward forced thank you's or the silence that follows "the one awful question", I think that nearly all of our society has not the vaguest idea of what it is like outside of their world, which is understandable in a way. Or the things and people that keep it that way. That is why when something comes along that is well and truly above the cut, I have to take notice.

At midnight, Friday morning, I saw a movie that I had been dying to see for about the last month and a half. I had caught word of this movie from a friend who lives in LA, and had seen the it while it was in limited run there. He raved about it, so naturally I had to get tickets when it opened at Tinseltown in North Canton. So at 7 or so in the evening, I picked up tickets for the midnight showing, "The Hurt Locker" at 12:01. When I went into the theaters I wanted to be able to cut it apart, but that was not the case.

"The Hurt Locker" is about an Army EOD ( Explosive Ordnance Disposal ) squad during the time of hostilities in 2004. Since this was the time period that I was there, I had to take a look. The movie shattered some of my perceptions on how out of touch I thought some people were. I was shaken by how realistic the depictions are, as well as how well it portrayed the effects of Post Traumatic Stress. It was poignant and real, and it followed the emotional roller coaster that military personnel go through on a daily basis. It was not a summer pop corn movie like "Black Hawk Down", nor was a political activism movie like "Fahrenheit 911" or "Lions for Lambs". It was a truly touching tale about men trying to find their way through "the sh*t".

As a veteran I whole heartily recommend this movie to anyone that cares about the human condition. It is a testament to not only the people who have been or are currently in the wars ( Iraq and Afghanistan ), but also that some people, even in Hollywood, care and want to show the real side of the stories that you hear about on the news or from people you know. Other than a couple of minor time issues, ACU's were not issued until the beginning of 2006, this movie was spot on. I once again give my complete recommendation. Go see it. It restored some of my faith in society, and it reminded me to not be so cynical because some people do care.

For those of you that have, feel free to give your opinions.
Tags: movie, review, society, war
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9521 Comments 5 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old
    Good to see that some directors and producers actually still care about telling it like it really is ( No bull****).
  2. Old
    Geardo POV: Couple inaccuracies... one of which you mentioned.
    Civvy POV: Very interesting, a little dragged out.

General conclusion: Good movie, shows a little how f***** up things can be.
  3. Old
    I am dying to see this movie. Hopefully Tues or Wed night.
  4. Old
    Thanks for the insight! I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I've heard about it. I just need to find time to get to the theather.
  5. Old
    Do it, you won't be disappointed.