Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Panda

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

3 Years of Teenage Airsoft Experience in a Nutshell

Posted 04-21-2013 at 09:02 PM by Panda
Yup, I've been in the game for 3 years as of March 27, 2013. It's been on and off due to conflicts with money and schedule, but whenever I can I'm on AO or checking out the next hottest piece of gear. For the most part, the purpose of this blog will be to explain stuff from the perspective of a teenage airsofter. Many players starting off nowadays are teenagers, due to the lowering cost of the sport and its availability. To the older and more experienced guys, it seems as though they don't know the difference between their d**k and their gun and it's easier to bash them because they're teenagers. This is for the new young bloods from someone who was, and in a way still is, in your position.

First off, the older guys are always right.

Even if they aren't right...

Some older guys are receptive to the younger crowd and their ideas. Most won't be because, like it or not, they know better. They're also the elders, and naturally they feel the need to be in charge of us teenagers. Just go with it, you'll learn plenty and soon you can boss people around. There will be adults with as little or as much of a clue as you do on what to do. You can take lead and tell them what you should do then, but let adults take the lead under most circumstances. If you find younger kids who look in need of leadership, feel free to boss them around. Since airsoft isn't a sport based on ranks, we go by age and known experience. You don't always know the experience of others, but the age is apparent. Sorry, old farts.

Secondly, bbs don't kill you.

Story time: my second event, I was with a random squad that was following the Strikers. (Got assigned there because my buddy and I were both medics so they split us up. Not happy about that, but I digress.). While attacking, I never pushed up because, although I didn't admit it then, I was afraid of getting hit. Of course, that made me pretty useless other than going and healing people and shooting every once in a while. Moral of the story is that there can only be one medic (ended up being me) and being afraid of being hit will make the game less fun. Eventually, you learn to get over it, but try to get over it as soon as possible. The bb won't kill you and it stings for like 30 seconds at the most. Deal with it, you big baby.

Third, LEARN THE DIFFERENCE.

Moving on, Here's another big one: you'll get to the point where you look like everyone else, trust me.

When I started airsofting, I looked like this:

That's me circa July 2010. I don't look like that anymore. My loadout doesn't resemble that in the slightest. It's gotten a lot farther and sophisticated, but it came in time. I didn't just start with the highest speed stuff, and I still don't have it all. You don't need the highest speed stuff to have fun, you just need to have fun. Don't worry about what others have, just know you'll get there in time.

If you wanna know, here's my gear now:

(This was taken in my brother's room, which explains the mess. Mine is also messy, but it's all airsoft stuff instead of clothes everywhere so it's a good messy )

That's all I've got. Thanks for reading. Remember, for the young blood new guys, that you just have to be patient and if you stick with airsoft, you'll find yourself actually being worth something eventually.

-Panda
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 21228 Comments 13 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old
    No matter how much expensive gear I buy I still look like a moron! How do you look cool?? ;P
  2. Old
    Well said Panda.

P.S. THE GAME
  3. Old
    needs more flashhider
    Posted 04-30-2013 at 05:32 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  4. Old
    This is the only thing you need to know in life..

Updated 04-30-2013 at 07:07 PM by Sparky
  5. Old
    You just made my day Sparky.
  6. Old
    wow this sounds like me when i started 2 years ago. wonder why
    Updated 05-02-2013 at 11:40 AM by Preacher
  7. Old
    Flash hiders are for the weak and those with something to hide.

damn you cj.
  8. Old
    +1 The things that you annoyed the vets with will eventually annoy you. I remember (he who shall not be named) talking me out of buying a sniper rifle when I first started.
  9. Old
    i would say airsoft has been an eye opener for you panda. but the PC police may come after me

ah what the hell,

airsoft has been an eye opener for you panda
  10. Old
    Jeff, I've picked up a lot from airsoft. I can honestly say it has helped me develop as a person. I started running cross country primarily because I wanted to be in better shape for airsoft and secondarily because I was just considering joining the military, which is something I've committed to now. Running cross country and track and being on another team has helped me learn that the human body can be pushed past what you think it can be pushed, and there's no excuse not to give 100 percent. Being able to do a 6 minute mile is a good bonus.

Overall, the hardest thing I'd say dealing with growing up in this hobby is seeing what everyone else had and not being jealous. It was intimidating starting out to see all the adults with the super tactical nylon, guns pimped to hell and back, and wondering what they'll think of you, a 13 year old in a 30 dollar pair of camo, paintball mask, bone stock Echo 1 in your hand, and a 20 dollar Condor woodland chest rig to hold your 2 spare mags and gatorade bottle. I've since gotten over it, obviously, but that took a while. Lethal BB Syndrome was also tough, but after a while you start to get into it and get more and more daring until the bbs don't phase you anymore. You try not to get hit, but it's not something that stops you from getting stuff done.
  11. Old
    Panda, young Asian grasshopper, I believe you missed the importance of the lesson of Clips vs. Mags. It wasn't the actual clips vs mags part, but how stupid an argument it is in the first place.

While it is nice to be 100% correct ALL THE TIME, if you have to engage in a stupid argument just to be right, your victories are shallow and you have lost much.

Thus endeth the lesson, tiny bear...

Praise Sparky..
    Updated 05-24-2013 at 05:49 PM by Texx
  12. Old
    You forgot the most important lesson of all....

AO Chat is a dark and mysterious place...
  13. Old
    Noobs everywhere.