Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Life After Airsoft

What happens to you after airsoft. And a little bit of what happens during.
Rate this Entry

My Birthday, May 25th

Posted 04-17-2010 at 11:14 AM by gertrude
Updated 04-18-2010 at 09:24 AM by gertrude (MATH FAIL)
So, some of you may know me, and some of you may not know me. That doesn't change the fact that in about a month, I'll be turning 27. It's a pretty ugly number. A prime number. Not really brimming with the drunkenness of, say, 21 or 22, and not quite so defeatist as 30 or, heaven protect us all, 40.

Now, I know all of you were planning on buying me flowers and cake and diamonds and things, but instead, I'm asking you to spend some cash on something cooler:

My DonorsChoose.org 27th Birthday Bash O' Giving

That's right! I want you to spend the money on four (or however many you want, really) Ohio classrooms that are in need of supplies. I chose these four in particular because I'm really passionate about things like literacy, social/environmental responsibility, and music.

You can spend as little as five dollars. My goal is to raise at least twenty dollars for every year of my life: that's ... um... uhhhhh... FIVE HUNDRED FORTY DOLLARS. (I did it myself, without a calculator. Really.)

Now, if you're school age or having a rough time financially, please don't sweat it. I understand that situation as I was recently there myself (with the latter, that is... I don't think school age was quite "recent"). Obviously, I'm talking to the goons that can spare a little bit extra. But if you do have a little bit extra, even five dollars- please, consider giving. Your donations are tax deductible, and you'll know that you've helped a local (Ohio!) classroom meet its learning goals.

Thanks very much,

Gerty
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2882 Comments 13 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old
    I know exactly what you mean about music and literacy. I'm a musician who is going to school to be an English teacher. haha i love irony. I will absolutely donate as soon as possible.
  2. Old
    Well gertrude, I'm gonna be right behind you on the 27th. However I'll be hitting the big 6-0
  3. Old
    except 27 isn't prime........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number
  4. Old
    awww math fail... I didn't think anything went into it >.< It's three, isn't it? and Nine?

God Dammit.
  5. Old
    Birthday Fail.

:P
  6. Old
    Quote:
    Birthday Fail.
    What? Would you rather me wait around for diamonds? Nono, sir. I have a job now and I'm going to be FIERCE about giving back something.
  7. Old
    A worthy charity, unfortunately AO isn't that giving.
  8. Old
    Hey, MY birthday is on May 25th!
    Exept, im turning 15.
  9. Old
    Why would you say AO isn't that giving?

How much did you donate D-boy?
  10. Old
    None yet. I just don't see AO as the place. I donate to my own charities (WWP, Toys for Tots). I know I was making a blanket statement, but I am pretty sure I am right. Hopefully I will be proven wrong. Does that satisfy my statement?
  11. Old
    If I were to ask you all to donate to gun control policy creating organizations, I would think AO isn't the place. Or if I were to ask you to donate to Obama's reelection. Or to some kind of specific religion.

However, education is sort of one of those things that everyone appreciates and uses. I specifically chose schools in Ohio that were in need, despite the fact that I now live in California. (I still feel like an Ohioan; I've only lived here 7 months.)

Also, the schools I chose are each asking for small amounts of money (er, well, except for one, it's all around $200), and they're all asking for things that will directly impact their education: a physical dictionary, Time magazine, some tools to help learn about recycling, and some software for teaching kids to compose music for college readiness. The school asking for the music composition software has already received a sizable donation from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

So, no, I don't think you're right, D-Boy. AO is the place for it, as much as any other place.
  12. Old
    d-boy i see events mostly hosting by blade that gives donatations to toys for tots, or some sort of charity, so AO does give back...
  13. Old
    D boy ...seriously ?...Gert ...this is a worthy cause im in how can i help ?